Never Miss a Blog Post - Follow by Email!

Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Verdict Is In: Proactiv 3-Step System

Hey Ladies & Gents,

This will be the last installment for my Influenster Cosmo VoxBox Series. To see what I thought about the other products in my box, just refer to my previous posts on the Vitabath Body Wash and the Gilette Venus ProSkin MoistureRich razor!

Today I will be giving you my thoughts and opinions on the Proactiv 3-Step System. Proactiv has been around for quite awhile and I always remember seeing commercials on it. From reading various reviews and talking to other ProActiv users, it seems as though this product is a 'hit or miss' with most people. I have very normal skin with occasional sensitivity in my chin and neck area. Here is what I think of it....

1- Renewing Cleanser
2 - Revitalizing Toner
3 - Repairing Treatment


Background
The ProActiv 3-Step System comes with a Renewing Cleanser, Revitalizing Toner, and Repairing Treatment Lotion which are to be used in conjunction with one another. Before I give my verdict, let me say that this is a 30-day kit and I only tested this product out for a week so results may vary if used longer. Please remember that what works for one person's skin may not work for another.

The Renewing Cleanser was not one of my favorites. It is an oil-free cleanser designed for mild to moderate acne-prone skin and contains tiny grains to exfoliate dead skin. It also contains benzoyl peroxide to penetrate pores and help kill bacteria as well as existing acne blemishes. The first few days it seemed to work fine, but then I noticed that it seemed to be a bit harsh on my skin. I don't have acne prone skin so I usually only exfoliate once a week and I prefer for my exfoliant to be seperate for my daily cleanser. I don't like the idea of this cleanser acting as an daily exfoliant. I also wish the cleanser had some type of lathering quality as well as salicylic acid instead of the benzoyl peroxide or maybe even a combination of the two. Because the formulation mainly consists of benzoyl peroxide, it tends to dry the skin which can cause irritation. I can see this working for some one with bad acne because it would dry the acne and bring it to the surface therefore clearing the skin and serving its purpose. For me, however, it is not necessary and therefore the product seemed to complicate and confuse my skin rather than keep it in its current normal state. I would give this product 3 out of 5 stars, meaning that it's an OK product but I don't know if I would invest in it again especially with its price point.

The Revitalizing Toner works very well for me. I love the formula --not too thick and not too runny. It clears my pores and does its job! It contains witch hazel, aloe, chamomile, and allantoin which are all very good for the skin and your pores. I would give this product 4 stars because my face feels refreshed after using it.

The Repairing Treatment is also one of my favorites! It is a very light medicated lotion that leaves my skin feeling firm and soft. For some reason, I get that nice feeling when I put it on --- a bit similar to when you remove a mud mask. A little goes a long way, and I find that even though this product contains mainly benzoyl peroxide like the cleanser, it also contains soothing botanicals which seem to counteract the dryness which occurred from the cleanser. I give this product 4 stars!

Overall
If you have acne-prone skin, I would definitely give this a try and see if it works for you. After all, you can get the 30-day system and then toss it if it doesn't work. It is sold as a 30-day, 3 Step System for $19.95. I thought the complete system was a good concept and it worked out OK, but I just wasn't too fond of the micro beads in the cleanser. I wouldn't use it for an occasional breakout, but I would definitely give it a shot if I had acne-prone skin. I would give the entire system 3 out of 5 stars. You can find out more about this product by visiting: http://www.proactiv.com

Have you tried the ProActiv System and/or are you thinking about trying it? What are your experiences with it if you have? 

Disclaimer: I received this product to test through Influenster's VoxBox program. All opinions expressed in this blog post are of my honest opinion as I believe in 100% honesty and integrity. Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. I have never tried this system before, however, when it was fresh on the market a neighbor of mine use to work for their customer service. She explained that most of the calls they got weren't testimonials but complaints exclaiming how harsh it was and the damage it did to their skin. I have acne-prone skin and have suffered from the disease since my youth but I know from going to a dermatologist for years that somethings will work and some just wont do.

    I certainly don't believe in taking an oily acne prone complexion and drying it out because that simply causes the face to want to produce even more oil which causes the face to react harshly. The medicine should actually balance the skin and not dehydrate it to the point it's practically screaming for moisture and it screams by breaking you out.

    This was an awesome and very informative review and thanks for taking the time to test it even though you don't have acne prone skin. Love you sissy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you sis. It seems as though they didn't think the cleanser completely through because it seems to counteract what should actually be done to the skin. I do think that balance is very important in skin-care because even the oilest of oily have to have a good amount of moisture to maintain healthy skin. Very good and valid points, and I must say that I agree!

    I'm glad you enjoyed the post :) I figured that I owed it to you all to actually give it a shot even though I don't suffer from acne-prone skin.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog post! I truly appreciate it. All comments are welcomed and I always respond promptly. I love to hear your feedback and thoughts, so please leave them! :-)